It can be challenging to keep up with all the responsibilities of running a business. Commercial roof maintenance is easy to overlook. It’s essential to ensure your roof is in good condition all year round to protect your building.
During an inspection, experts will thoroughly examine your roof for any signs of damage or other concerns. Here a few key aspects for comprehensive roof inspection to discuss with your roofer.
What is needed in an accurate record?
Document all roof inspections and repairs. Keeping a complete list of roof inspections will be useful if you need to file an insurance claim. Records will also give roofers insights into previous work done on your roof.
1. Make sure you have a report of who has been on the roof and why. This will ensure the safety of the roofing team and your employees by keeping everyone in the loop. Maintaining a log of roof activity may be useful later to track roof inspection cycles as well.
2. Consider the condition of specific areas of the roof and prioritize addressing the critical problems first. Categorize areas of concern as good (no action needed), fair (monitor for now), or bad (immediate action required). What steps need to be taken to fix these problems? Be sure to take photographs of any damage found.
3. Create a roof inspection toolkit with the following:
- a pen and pad for taking notes
- a camera
- a tape measure
- a flashlight
You may also want to include roof plans for reference. If needed, professionals may use a drone to snap aerial photos of your roof.
What can you look for from inside your building?
Damage to the roof of your business may contribute to visible issues inside the building. You’ll want to have the interior thoroughly inspected for indications of moisture seeping through. Water damage can be very destructive. Any issues found should be addressed sooner than later.
4. Consider the state of the walls in your building. Do they show signs of mold or dark spots? Can you see paint peeling or other signs of moisture?
5. Do you see any damp areas around vents or chimneys? Look for any discoloration indicating water has seeped through the roof.
6. Does your roof have proper ventilation? Can you see cracks in the rafters and sheathing? Is there any sagging in the deck? Can you see any light penetrating through the roof?
7. Does your roof have any leaks? If so, where are they located and what can be done? Take photographs of the leak and contact a professional right away to repair the problem.
What do you check from outside or on the roof?
The maintenance team should limit their time on the roof to prevent further damage. Here are a few things to check on regularly. Take photographs of any damage seen until roofers can arrive.
8. Check the perimeter of your building for any visible damage or debris. Some signs of roof damage may be obvious, such as clogged gutters or damaged downspouts. Gutter systems can become blocked following severe weather events, which can cause water to get inside the building. You may also see pools of standing water around the property or on the flat roof if the gutters aren’t functioning correctly.
9. Look for any visible wear and tear to flashing, chimneys, vents, fascia, drip edges, and decking. Is there any corrosion, rust, or wood rotting? Wood in your roof’s deck will also warp or swell if subjected to moisture over extended periods.
10. For flat roof systems, look out for ponding, holes, or punctures in the roofing material. Take note of blisters, weathering, or anything pulling away from the roof. You’ll also want to make sure your roofing anchors are in good condition to make roof inspections and repairs less challenging for contractors to complete.
Starting with these 10 tips, building your commercial roof maintenance program can help prevent disruption to your operations. Your roofer will be able to keep up with inspection requirements to ensure your building is always in compliance.Since 1976, Damschroder Roofing has provided quality roofing solutions throughout Ohio for our valued clients. Our team is familiar with today’s most popular commercial roofing systems, and we will ensure your building remains protected around the clock. Call us to learn more about our comprehensive roof maintenance services. Trust in us to ensure your roof is in perfect shape so you can focus on running your business.